Finding a work at home job that is a good fit for both your educational background and needs can be difficult. For those with experience in teaching or even those that desire to work in education, finding a job scoring standardized tests may be a great option for you.
While these companies also hire workers on-site, remote scorers that work from home also make up a large portion of their workforce.
Online Test Scoring Jobs
There are variety of standardized tests given yearly. Some portions of the test cannot be graded by a machine and requires someone to grade by hand. The test sections may be essay portions or hand written answers. Some companies will recruit online scorers to work from home grading tests.
Typically the pay averages between $10 – $20 an hour depending on the project. You can make your own schedule, choosing from set hours. Because most standardized tests are given certain times throughout the year, you should consider this to be a seasonal job. Make sure to read the requirements on each company for more information on the requirements to become an online scorer.
1. ETS – ETS, also known as Educational Testing Services, recruit online scorers for several educational tests (SAT, TOEIC®, TOEFL®, Praxis™ and GRE® programs). Online scorers may be evaluating hand written essays or short anwsers. Virtual training and certification is provided for each specified program. The requirements to be accepted as a online scorer varies for each test. For most cases a bachelors degree or masters degree is required. Some tests will require a second language while others may require some prior teaching experience.
2. Pearson – Pearson is known as a company that contracts online scorers for project-based work,scoring on various subjects. Pearson also hires scorers to work from home scoring the essay portion of the College Board SAT exam. You must have at least a bachelors degree or higher and have taught in a high school or college class. The application process will allow you to be part of a pool of online scorers that are chosen to work on projects that last anywhere from a week to a month. Scoring from home and setting your own schedule are real perks here!
3. WriteScore – Write Score often hires people to work from home grading standardized tests. This company works with elemementary , middle, and high school students. This opportunity is only open to hose that live in the US. The pay is between $8 – $15 per hour according to CareerBuilder. You don't need prior teaching experience but have must have a 2 year graduate degree in something.
Grading standardized tests usually is a part-time job that does not offer enough work to be a consistent income, but if you are need of some extra money or a seasonal job as a second income stream, these positions might be the perfect fit.
This action will open a new window. Do you want to proceed?
We need qualified people to read and score student essays for the ACT Writing Test.
Essay scoring takes place online, facilitated by an Electronic Performance Evaluation Network (ePEN) System designed by Pearson Educational Measurement. This means you can read and score essays anytime and from any personal workstation with an Internet connection.
Writing Test essays are scored at intervals throughout the year. Compensation will be performance based. Scorers can realize $12/hour or more based on a combination of performance indicators, including quality and rate.
Prospective applicants will have the following qualifications:
- A bachelor's degree or higher
- Current teaching experience (preferred)
- Experience teaching high school English to juniors and seniors (preferred)
- U.S. citizenship, resident alien status, or authorized to work in the U.S.
- Reside in the U.S.